Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can I plug a PCI Express x16 2.0 card into a PCI Express x16 slot?

I have a modified Acer Aspire T180 desktop PC and it's time to upgrade the video card as that's the piece of hardware that's slowing me down at this point.



I currently have an EVGA Nvidia 8600GT which has a PCI Express x16 connection on it and my MB also has a PCI Express x16 slot.

I went on Newegg and most of the cards now have a PCI Express 2.0 x16 connection on them...



Can I plug a new x16 2.0 card into my old x16 port?|||Yes, & there will be no performance loss whatsoever.

The higher bandwidth on a 2.0 slot is way overkill & was deigned with the future in mind.



There are virtually no single home user video cards presently in production that will bottleneck on a 1.x slot.



regards,

Philip T|||Yep, they're backwards compatible.|||yes. and oyu really won't loose that much performance either.



It will work with out a hitch.



Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment