Thursday, April 26, 2012

Would a video card made for pci express x16 2.1 work on a motherboard that only supports pci e. 16 1.0?

I wanted to upgrade my video card, but I am concerned about the compatibility. I have a pci express x16 1.0 port, but the card I want is a pci express x16 2.1. Will it still work? Thanks a bunch!|||YES. PCIe 2.0/2.1 cards are backward compatible with the PCIe 1.0/1.1 slot. And they use the same x16 PCIe graphics slot. It is really the high-end dual GPU cards that need the high bandwidth of PCIe 2.0/2.1.|||Some motherboards require you to update the BIOS in order for the new PCI Express 2.1 specification to be compatible with 1.0 or 1.1. For example, the ASRock 945GCM-S motherboard requires a special beta BIOS update in order for any PCI Express 2.1 graphics cards to be compatible with it.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment