Friday, April 27, 2012

What is the best video card my system can handle?

My video card seems to be the bottleneck in my system and I want to replace it with a newer card. My motherboard only has a PCI-e x16 1.0 slot so I don't know how powerful I can go and still utilize the whole card. I also have a 500 watt power supply. I have a PNY 240gt. I'd like to know how new and how powerful I can go with a new video card. I appreciate any suggestions.|||You can go with an HD 6950, which is a PCIe 2.0 device but will work with a 1.0 motherboard. I believe a 500W PSU should do fine for a 6950.



The difference in bandwidth isn't enough to show anyway. I don't think any GPU right now is limited by the bandwidth of a 1.0 PCIe motherboard...



FYI, Nvidia PCIe 2.0 cards have trouble working with 1.0 or 1.1 motherboards...you may be able to flash the cards' BIOS, however AMD cards work with no problems from what I've seen...|||i agree with R though i would upgrade motherboards cause a pci-e 1.0 is goin to cause tons of problems and you'd only preform slightly better than a Geforce 9800GT with a pci-e 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment