Monday, May 7, 2012

Can I use a PCI Express 2.0 video card with my Asus IP-95 MOBO?

I was just wondering if I can use a card with PCIe 2.0 on my motherboard which I got about a year and a half ago. It says it has PCI Express and PCI Express x16, I wanted to upgrade from my nVidia 7600GT to a 9600GT and do not know if I can. |||You mean an Abit IP-95 motherboard (not Asus)?



In theory, this should work. Some possible issues:



- There was a known problem with some Via chipset motherboards and the 8800gt due to compatibility issues with the PCI-E 1.0a interface on the motherboard. This may be fixed in the 9600gt, but I'm not completely sure about this.



- Make sure that your power supply has the needed power (the 9600gt is a bit more power hungry than the 7600gt) and connectors (the 9600gt needs a 6-pin PCI-E power connector or use 2 4-pin molex connectors and an adaptor) and that your case has enough room.

|||no

No comments:

Post a Comment