Monday, May 7, 2012

How do check if my computer can run a PCI Express 2.0 x16 video card?

It's a Dell Inspiron 530 that I've had for a few years and I never upgraded the video card. By right clicking my computer and clicking properties I see some of my specs



Intel Core 2 Duo

E6550 @ 2.33GHz

3 GB of Ram



How can I check if I have a PCI Express 2,0 x16 slot?|||Any PCI-E 2.0 video card is backward compatible with earlier versions. So, yes you can use it. (you have a PCI-E x 16 slot) It will just default to the slower version. But your power supply will be over-taxed if you get too powerful of a card. That usually will result in the computer shutting down, or re-booting. Or killing the PSU.



The Dell Inspiron 530 only has a 300W power supply. So, find a video card that doesn't require an extra cable to power it. If it gets all its power off the PCI-E slot, your PSU will probably handle it. Here's a suggestion below...



Your E6550 will not 'bottleneck' the HD 5570. And you'll be able to play most games at medium settings at 1680x1050 resolution and lower.|||will first off its a Dell Inspiron and secondly your computer is outdated anyways you motherboard supports pci express x16 not 2.0. you could run a video card on it but youll have a bottleneck effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment