Wednesday, May 9, 2012

If I purchase a pci express 2.0 video card, will it run in my regular pci express x16 slot?

I'm planning on building a new system but the mobo I want does not have pci express 2.0. However, the video card that I want to purchase is a pci express 2.0 card. The mobo that I intend to purchase supports pci express x16. Is the fitting the same? Will the card run just as a pci express x16 card? All the information I've been able to locate points to yes. Seeing that 2.0 is twice the speed, I should have the card running equivalent to 2.0 x8, or 1.1 x16, correct?|||A PCI-Express 2.0 version graphics card will 'run' in a PCI-Express 1.1 version slot. It's due to the technology of PCI-Express.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

(Scroll down about halfway, and read under the sub-heading

PCI-Express 2.0)

The x16 designation means->Times 16 The 16 is a reference to Lanes.

Lanes for graphics 'traffic'. Graphics data transmission. Graphics data goes to the graphics card, and from the graphics card, across these lanes. You will always have 16 Lanes with a x16 card.



With PCI-E 1.1 version, graphics data information is sent at 250MB's per Second, in EACH direction.



250MB's per Second to the graphics card, and 250MB's per Second, away from the graphics card.



PCI-E 2.0 rate is 500MB/s (500MB's per Second)



Now, will you notice this difference? Doubt it!|||It will work.|||It should work.



However, I do believe that the speed will be much, much slower, as PCI-e 2.0 is significantly faster the the original PCI-e. Hence, you'll be wasting a lot of money buying a 2.0 card when most of it's potential can't be unlocked by the slower PCI interface.



Hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment